On December 5, 2017, Jean-Philippe Léo Smet aka Johnny Hallyday died aged 74. He was musician (piano, guitar), singer and actor, the pioneer of the French rock and roll scene. He was called “The French Elvis”, and described as “The biggest rock star you’ve never heard of in English-speaking countries”. In 1997, he was made “Chevalier of the Legion of Honour”, and in 2001, Officer of the “Order of the Crown” in Belgium. In his more than four decades long career he worked with many famous musicians including Mick Jones, Jimmy Page, Tony Joe White, Dalida, Bon Jovi, Michael Bolton, Sylvie Vartan, Bono, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Tommy Brown, Connie Francis, and Laura Pausini. In his lifetime Hallyday released 81 studio and live albums.
On August 5, 1992, Jeffrey Thomas Porcaro died aged 38. He was a songwriter, musician (drums), and record producer, best known as the drummer with Toto. He was one of the most south after session drummers in popular music, played on hundreds of albums and worked with numerous artists such as Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, George Benson, Greg Lake, Seals & Crofts, Les Dudek, Joe Cocker, Steely Dan, The Jacksons, Tommy Bolin, Jackson Browne, Leo Sayer, Boz Scaggs, Carly Simon, Eric Carmen, Valerie Carter, Lisa Dal Bello, Hall & Oates, Diana Ross, Colin Blunstone, Larry Carlton, Allen Toussaint, Dave Mason, Warren Zevon, Ruben Blades, Bim, Jerry Williams, Al Stewart, Marc Jordan, Rickie Lee Jones, Janne Schaffer, Lowell George, Aretha Franklin, Jon Anderson, Luis Miguel, Love and Money, Patti Austin, Mariya Takeuchi, The Brothers Johnson, Peter Frampton, Bee Gees, Char, Christopher Cross, Randy Crawford, Al Jarreau, Amii Ozaki, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Eye to Eye, Donna Summer, Elton John, Melissa Manchester, Donald Fagen, Herbie Hancock, Don Henley, Michael McDonald, Lionel Richie, Paul Simon, Randy Newman, Russ Taff, Chicago, David Gilmour Joe Walsh, Eric Clapton, Peter cetera, Earth Wind & Fire, roger Hodgson, David Benoit, Dr. John, Steve Porcaro, Nik Kershaw, Poco, Clair Mario, Celine Dion, Natalie Cole, Madonna, Jude Cole, Sandy Patty, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Bolton, Cher, Dire Straits, Richard Marx, Bonnie Raitt, Rod Stewart, B-52’s, Go West, 10CC, Roger Waters, Paul Young, and David Crosby. In 1993, Porcaro was posthumously inducted into the “Modern Drummer Hall of Fame”.
On May 28, 2020, Robert J. Kulick died aged 70. He was musician (guitar) and producer, best known for his studio work with Kiss, Kulick has also worked with Lou Reed, Diana Ross, Paul Stanley, W.A.S.P., Neverland Express, Meat Loaf, Michael Bolton, Doro, Balance, Motörhead, Tim Curry, Alice Cooper, Mark Farner, Janis Ian, Was (Not Was), Kris Hadlock, Spys, Blackthorne, David Glen Eisley, Skull, Michael Wendroff and Random Blues Band. As a leader Kulick recorded one album, “Skeletons in the Closet” in 2017.
In April 1986, “Capitol” label released “Cocker”, the tenth Joe Cocker studio album. It was recorded in 1986, and was produced by Richie Zito, Terry Manning, Ron Nevison, Albert Hammond and Diane Warren and Bernard Edwards. The album was certified Platinum in Australia by “ARIA”, and Platinum in Germany by “BVMI”.
- Joe Cocker – lead vocals
- Neal Schon, Richie Zito, Eddie Martinez, Cliff Goodwin, Dann Huff – guitars
- Vito San Filippo, Bernard Edwards, Randy Jackson, Arthur Barrow, Mike Moran – bass
- Mike Moran, Arthur Barrow, Jeff Lorber, Larry Marshall, Jeff Bova, Michael Boddicker, Howard Hersh – keyboards
- Michael Baird, Anton Fig, Eric Parker – drums
- Mel Collins, Andrew Love – saxophone
- Dick Hyde, Steve Madaio, Joel Peskin – horns
- Albert Hammond, Diane Warren, Curtis King, Maxine Green, Julia Tillman Waters, Leslie Smith, Joe Turano, Elesecia Wright, Maxine Waters – background vocals
- Shelter Me – Nick DiStefano
- A to Z – Tom Kimmel
- Don’t You Love Me Anymore – Albert Hammond, Diane Warren
- Living Without Your Love – Michael Bolton, Doug James
- Don’t Drink The Water – Richard Feldman, Pat Robinson
- You Can Leave Your Hat On – Randy Newman
- Heart of the Matter – Ronald Miller, Billy Aerts
- Inner City Blues – Marvin Gaye, James Nyx Jr.
- Love Is on a Fade – Stephen Allen Davis, Dennis Morgan
- Heaven -Terry Manning