On March 28, 1974, “Mercury” label released “The Golden Scarab”, the debut Ray Manzarek solo album. It was recorded in 1973, at “Sunset Sound” in Los Angeles, and was produced by Bruce Botnick and Bob Brown.
- Ray Manzarek – lead vocals, keyboards, piano, organ, synthesizer, kalimba
- Larry Carlton- guitar
- Tony Williams– drums
- Patti Smith – vocals
- Oscar Brashear- trumpet
- Mayuto Correa- wood block, bongos, congas
- Milt Holland- pandeiro, cabasa, quica, African cowbell
- Jerry Scheff- bass
- Ernie Watts- tenor saxophone
- George Bohanon- trombone
- Steve Forman – tuned cowbells, whistles, guiro, tuned wood blocks
All tracks by Ray Manzarek except where noted.
- He Can’t Come Today
- Solar Boat
- Downbound Train – Chuck Berry
- The Golden Scarab
- The Purpose of Existence Is?
- The Moorish Idol
- Choose Up and Choose Off
- Oh Thou Precious Nectar Filled Form (or) A Little Fart