On May 17, 1996, John Watson Jr. aka Johnny “Guitar” Watson died aged 61. He was guitarist, singer and songwriter, known as the pioneer of guitar feedback and reverb. His recording career spanned forty years, with biggest success in his funk era, with the albums “Ain’t That a Bitch” (1976), “A Real Mother for Ya” (1977), and “Funk Beyond the Call of Duty” (1977). Watson died of a heart attack while on tour in Yokohama, Japan, collapsing mid guitar solo.
On March 10, 2018, Gary Burden died aged 84. He was artist specialized in design of music album covers, considered as one of the pioneers of the concept of album cover art. He created covers for many famous music acts including The Doors, Neil Young, Mama Cass, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Joni Mitchell, The Eagles, Jackson Browne and Matt Corby. In 2000, together with the photographer Henry Diltz, he made “California Rock: Under the Covers”, a documentary about their mutual work on album covers and participation in the Los Angeles music scene.In 2010, at the 52nd “Annual Grammy Awards”, Burden won the award for “Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Packaging” for the Neil Young “The Archives Vol. 1 1963–1972”.
On September 5, 2017, Holger Czukay died aged 79. He was musician, music producer, recording engineer, best known as co-founder and member of Can, one of the most influential and important music groups in the music history. Studied under Karlheinz Stockhausen, Czukay is regarded as one of the pioneers of ambient music, early pioneer of sampling and one of the first explorers of “world music”, long before the term was coined. He has released eleven solo albums, and has collaborated with the likes of Conny Plank, The Edge, Jah Wobble, David Sylvian, Ben Mandelson, Dr. Walker, U-She, Ursa Major and Bob Humid.
In April 1982, “Mushroom” label released “Time and Tide”, the seventh Split Enz album. It was recorded January-February in Sydney, and was produced by Hugh Padgham, Tim Finn, Neil Finn, Noel Crombie, Nigel Griggs and Eddie Rayner.
- Tim Finn– vocals, piano
- Neil Finn– vocals, guitar
- Noel Crombie– drums, percussion, cover design, photos
- Nigel Griggs– bass
- Eddie Rayner– percussion, keyboards
- Engineered by Hugh Padgham. assisted by David Price
- Mixed by Hugh Padgham, Tim Finn, Neil Finn, Noel Crombie, Nigel Griggs, Eddie Rayner
- Mastered by Ian Cooper, Howard Grey
- Jeff Ayeroff – art direction:
- Dirty Creature – Neil Finn, Tim Finn, Nigel Griggs
- Giant Heartbeat – Neil Finn, Nigel Griggs
- Hello Sandy Allen – Neil Finn
- Never Ceases to Amaze Me – Tim Finn
- Lost for Words – Neil Finn, Tim Finn, Nigel Griggs
- Small World – Tim Finn
- Take a Walk – Neil.Finn
- Pioneer – Eddie Rayner
- Six Months in a Leaky Boat – Tim Finn, Neil Finn, Noel Crombie, Nigel Griggs, Eddie Rayner
- Haul Away – Tim Finn
- Log Cabin Fever – Neil Finn
- Make Sense of It – Noel Crombie, Tim Finn, Neil Finn, Nigel Griggs, Eddie Rayner
On March 16, 1975, Aaron Thibeaux “T-Bone” Walker died aged 64. Being guitarist, singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist he was an influential pioneer and innovator of the jump blues and electric blues sound. In 2011 “Rolling Stone” magazine ranked him at number 67 on the list of “The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time”.