On May 3, 2014, Bobby Gregg died aged 78. He was musician and record producer, best known for his work as a drummer on some famous songs including Bob Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone” and Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence”. He also worked on few important albums including Peter, Paul and Mary’s self titled album, and “Church of Anthrax” by John Cale and Terry Riley. Gregg was a member of The Hawks, which later became known as The Band.
On January 23, 2018, Hugh Ramopolo Masekela died aged 78. He was musician (trumpeter, flugelhornist, and cornetist), composer and singer, known as “Father of South African Jazz.” He has recorded 49 albums, and received many awards, including:
- 1968 – Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Pop Performance – instrumental
- 2002 – BBC Radio Jazz Awards: International Award of the Year
- 2005 – Channel O Music Video Awards: Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2007 – Ghana Music Awards: 2007 African Music Legend Award
- 2010 – Order of Ikhamanga:South African National Orders Ceremony
- 2014 – University of York Honorary Doctorate in Music
- 2015 – Rhodes University: Doctor of Music
On September 8, 2017, Donald Ray Williams died aged 78. He was singer and songwriter, known by the nick name “Gentle Giant” of the country music. He had 17 number one country hits, and his songs has been covered by many artists including Johnny Cash, Eric Clapton, Waylon Jennings, Pete Townshend, Claude Russell Bridges, Lefty Frizzell, Josh Turner, Sonny James, Alison Krauss, Billy Dean, Charley Pride, Kenny Rogers, Lambchop, Alan Jackson, Tomeu Penya, and Bonnie “Prince” Billy. In 2010, he was inducted in the “Country Music Hall of Fame”.
On January 22, 2017, Jaki Liebezeit died aged 78. He was multi-instrumentalist, playing drums, percussion, double bass, saxophone and piano, best known as drummer and co-founder of the band Can. He also recorded and performed with many famous musician and bands including Manfred Schoof, Brian Eno, Phantomband, Jah Wobble, Phew, Philip Jeck, Depeche Mode,Eurythmics, Cyclopean and Bernd Friedmann.