On May 10, 2020, John Michael McKenzie died aged 64. He was musician (bass, guitar, backing vocals), member of the bands Global Village Trucking Company and Man. He recorded and performed with Eurythmics, The Pretenders, Alison Moyet, Lionel Richie, Dr. John, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Annette Peacock, Steve Hillage, Noel McCalla, Bob Young, Shusha Guppy, Wham!, Deke Leonard, Morrissey-Mullen, Claire Hamill, Space Monkey, Jim Diamond, Bob Dylan, Al Corley, Jeffrey Lee Pierce, Microdisney, Five Star, Endgames, John Mizarolli, Gary Moore, Ian Paice, Jaki Graham, Don Airey, Richard Bailey, Peter Auty, Billy Bremner, Terry Stannard, Simon Kirke, Earl Slick, Graham Lyle, Chris Thompson, Patti Austin, Latin Quarter, Phil Manzanera, Matt Bianco, Pete Brown, Helen Watson, Kevin Rowland, Shakira, David Bowie, Tina Turner, Eric Burdon, Kajagoogoo, Johnny Mathis, Everything But The Girl, Todd Sharpville, Branford Marsalis, Rui Veloso, Tim Finn, Ive Mendes, Tom Scott, David Dundas, Danny Tenaglia, The Christians, Phenix Horns, Duran Duran’s Andy Taylor, Jimmy Iovine, Dave Stewart, Wild, Leon Ware, Eternal, James Ingram, Francis Rossi, Karl Jenkins, Albert Lee, Barbara Dickson, Davy Spillane, Charles Aznavour, Raw Stylus, Linda Taylor, Blair Cunningham, Andy Newmark, Teresa Teng, Annabel Lamb, Nadirah X, Bob Clearmountain, Mitchell Froom, Arthur Louis, and Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra.
On March 17, 2017, “Columbia” label released “Spirit”, the 14th Depeche Mode studio album. It was recorded April – August 2016, at “Jungle City Studios” in New York City, “Sound Design” in Santa Barbara, California, and was produced by James Ford. The album was certified Platinum in France “SNEP” and 2 x Platinum in Poland by “ZPAV”.
- Dave Gahan– lead vocals, backing vocals
- Martin Gore– guitars, keyboards, synthesizers, backing vocals, lead vocals
- Andy Fletcher– keyboards, synthesizers, backing vocals
- James Ford- mixing, drums, pedal steel guitar
- Matrixxman– programming
- Kurt Uenala– programming, bass guitar
- Jimmy Robertson – engineering, mix engineering
- Connor Long, Óscar Muñoz, David Schaeman – assistant engineer
- Brendan Morawski – assistant engineer, mix assistant
- Brian Lucey – mastering
- Daniel Miller– A&R
- Anton Corbijn– cover, all visuals and art-direction, design
All tracks by Martin L. Gore, except where noted.
- Going Backwards
- Where’s the Revolution
- The Worst Crime
- You Move – Martin L. Gore, Dave Gahan
- Cover Me – Martin L. Gore, Peter Gordeno, Christian Eigner
- Poison Heart – Dave Gahan, Peter Gordeno, Christian Eigner
- So Much Love
- No More (This Is the Last Time) – Dave Gahan, Kurt Uenala