On December 29, 2020, Claude Bolling died aged 90. He was musician (piano), composer, and arranger. He wrote music for more than one hundred movies, collaborated with classical musicians, but also with musicians from various genres including Alexandre Lagoya, Pinchas Zukerman, Maurice André, and Yo-Yo Ma. Bolling has worked with some of the biggest names in the jazz music including Roy Eldridge, Kenny Clarke. Oscar Peterson, Lionel Hampton, Duke Ellington, Stéphane Grappelli, and Django Reinhardt. As leader he released 24 albums.
On October 31, 1995, “Acoustic Music” label released “Tone Poems 2”, an album by David Grisman and Martin Taylor. It was recorded in January 1995, at “Dawg Studios”, and was produced by David Grisman.
- David Grisman – mandolin, mandola, mandocello, guitar, tenor guitar
- Martin Taylor – guitar
- Swanee – George Gershwin, Irving Caesar
- Teasin’ the Frets – Nick Lucas
- It Had to Be You – Isham Jones, Gus Kahn
- Please – Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin
- Mood Indigo – Duke Ellington, Barney Bigard, Irving Mills
- Anything Goes – Cole Porter
- Blue Moon – Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart
- Lulu’s Back In Town – Harry Warren, Al Dubin
- Tears – Stéphane Grappelli, Django Reinhardt
- Jeepers Creepers – Harry Warren, Johnny Mercer
- Over the Rainbow – Harold Arlen, E. Y. Harburg
- Musette for a Magpie – Martin Taylor
- Mairzy Doats – Milton Drake, Al Hoffman, Jerry Livingston
- Bésame Mucho – Consuelo Velázquez, Sunny Skylar
- Unforgettable – Irving Gordon
- Here’s That Rainy Day – Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke
- My Romance – Rodgers, Hart
- Out of Nowhere – Johnny Green, Edward Heyman
- Crystal Silence – Chick Corea, Neville Potter
On July 12, 2003, Bennett Lester “Benny” Carter, died aged 96. Being alto saxophonist, clarinetist, trumpeter, composer, arranger, and bandleader, Carter is regarded a major figure in jazz from the 1930s to the 1990s. In his career the “King” performed with Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, Coleman Hawkins, Peggy Lee, Carmen McRae, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, Miles Davis, Django Reinhardt, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Lena Horne, Glenn Miller, Gene Krupa, Tommy Dorsey, Phil Woods, Dizzy Gillespie, Earl Hines, Ben Webster, Billy Eckstine, Pearl Bailey, Lou Rawls, Louis Armstrong, Freddie Slack and Mel Torme.
For his work Benny Carter received big number of awards including: “The NEA Jazz Masters Award by The National Endowment for the Arts”, “Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award” , “Grammy Award” for his solo “Prelude to a Kiss”, “A Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame”, “National Endowment for the Arts”, “National Medal of Arts”.