On September 16, 2018, Maartin Allcock died aged 61. He was a musician (violin, guitar, bass, keyboards, pipes), and record producer, best known as a member of Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull, and The Mission. As a musician, he recorded with a number of bands and musicians including Ralph McTell, Simon Nicol, Kieran Halpin, Beverley Craven, Steve Ashley, Dan Ar Braz, Robert Plant, Beth Nielsen Chapman, Les Barker, Ashley Hutchings, Billy Connolly, Judith Durhamlin, Steve Tilston, Maggie Boyle, Chris Leslie, The Simon Mayor Quintet, WAZ!, Dave Pegg, Steve Gibbons, David Hughes, Sally Barker, Emily Slade, Alistair Russell, John Wright, Swarb’s Lazarus, Mike Billington, The Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican, Scott Doonican, Dave Burland, and Lisa Starnini. Allcock released four solo albums.
In June 1980, “Topic Records” label released “Penguin Eggs”, the fifth and the final Nic Jones album. It was recorded in 1980, at “Livingston Studios” in London, and was produced by Tony Engle.
- Nic Jones– vocals, guitar, fiddle, arrangements
- Dave Burland– harmony vocals
- Bridget Danby – recorder, harmony vocals
- Tony Hall – melodeon
- Nic Kinsey – engineering
- Billy Kinsley – engineering
The detail after the title is the composer’s name or references from the three major numbering schemes for traditional folk songs, the “Roud Folk Song Index”, “Child Ballad Numbers”, and the “Laws Numbers”.
- Canadee – Roud 309
- The Drowned Lovers – Roud 91, Child 216
- The Humpback – Harry Robertson
- The Little Pot Stove – Harry Robertson
- Courting is a Pleasure – Roud 454
- Barrack Street – Roud 1902, Laws K42
- Planxty Davis
- The Flandyke Shore – Roud 2636
- Farewell to the Gold – Paul Metsers