In August 1969, “Columbia” label released the debut, self-titled Santana album. It was recorded in January and May 1969, at “Pacific Recording” in San Mateo, and was produced by Carlos Santana, Gregg Rolie, David Brown, Michael Shrieve, Michael Carabello, José “Chepito” Areas, Brent Dangerfield and David Rubinson. In 2003, “Rolling Stone” magazine ranked the album at number 150 on its list of the “500 Greatest Albums of all Time”.
- Carlos Santana– guitar, backing vocals
- Gregg Rolie– lead vocals, Hammond organ, piano
- David Brown– bass
- Michael Shrieve– drums
- Michael Carabello– congas, percussion
- José “Chepito” Areas– timbales, congas, percussion
- David Brown – engineer
- Lee Conklin– album cover art
All tracks by Carlos Santana, Gregg Rolie, David Brown, Michael Shrieve, Michael Carabello and José “Chepito” Areas, except where noted.
- Evil Ways – Clarence “Sonny” Henry
- Shades of Time – Carlos Santana, Gregg Rolie
- Jingo – Babatunde Olatunji
- You Just Don’t Care
- Soul Sacrifice- Carlos Santana, Gregg Rolie, David Brown, Marcus Malone