On April 23, 2002, “Island” label released “When I Was Cruel”, the 19th Elvis Costello album. It was recorded 2001-2002, and was produced by Elvis Costello, Ciaran Cahill, Leo Pearson and Kieran Lynch. “When I Was Cruel” was the first album to feature Costello’s new band, The Imposters.
- Elvis Costello– vocals, guitars, horn arrangements, melodica, cymbal, bass, piano, harmonica
- Steve Nieve– organ, pianet, piano, vibraphone, melodica, filters
- Davey Faragher– bass, handclaps
- Pete Thomas– drums, handclaps, percussion, shaker, tambourine
- Steven Kennedy –backing vocals
- Leo Pearson – electrictabla on 3, rhythm processor, tambourine, mixing
- Bill Ware– vibraphone
- Ku-umba Frank Lacy– trumpet, flugelhorn
- Curtis Fowlkes– trombone
- Jay Rodriguez– tenor saxophone
- Roy Nathanson– alto saxophone
All tracks by Elvis Costello.
- Spooky Girlfriend
- Tear Off Your Own Head (It’s a Doll Revolution)
- When I Was Cruel No. 2
- Soul for Hire
- 15 Petals
- Dust 2…
- Daddy Can I Turn This?
- My Little Blue Window
- Episode of Blonde
- Radio Silence