On September 6, 1978, “Columbia” label released “Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of The War of the Worlds”, the debut Jeff Wayne studio album. It was recorded May 1976 – July 1977, and was produced by Jeff Wayne. The album retells the story of “The War of the Worlds” by H. G. Wells.
- Richard Burton– spoken words (The Journalist: the narrator-protagonist)
- Justin Hayward– vocals (The Sung Thoughts of the Journalist)
- David Essex– spoken words, vocals (The Artilleryman)
- Chris Thompson– vocals (The Voice of Humanity)
- Phil Lynott– spoken words, vocals (Parson Nathaniel)
- Julie Covington– spoken words , vocals (Beth)
- Jerry Wayne – spoken words (The Voice of NASA)
All dialogues by Doreen and Jerry Wayne, based upon H.G. Wells’s original text.
All tracks by Jeff Wayne, except where noted.
- The Eve of the War
- Horsell Common and the Heat Ray
- The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine
- Forever Autumn – lyrics by Paul Vigrass and Gary Osborne
- Thunder Child – lyrics by Gary Osborne
- The Red Weed (Part 1)
- Parson Nathaniel
- The Spirit of Man – lyrics by Gary Osborne
- The Red Weed (Part 2)
- Brave New World -(lyrics by Gary Osborne)
- Dead London
- Epilogue (Part 1)
- Epilogue (Part 2)